Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Blimey over half the season and no blogging!

Ooops Sorry to those you visit I have been quite remiss in my lack of blogging about the season so far.

So here is an update I will try and keep it concise!
Rushmoor Arena..............A great event held just the other side of Farnborough Airport. It was a good shake down for the cars and drivers a like. Not particular successful for me or Katy but first time at this event so you know....

So with the drive home to Wales firmly in mind and how the B is becoming not a pleasant drive on the motorway at legal speeds I decided to buy a trailer. Sounds straight forward but I have a Golf TDI as the tow car so towing limit is 1500kgs all in. So it had to light and yet strong enough to take the B or Midget. I eventually found on within budget at a trailer shop near to home www.trailertrek.com which was great but the delivery was touch and go fro Wales trip.

Llys-y-Fran.
Deepest Darkest Wales.
Bloody amazing and well worth the long hard slog up to junction 213214234234255667677 of the M4. Stayed in a lovely B&B just the other side of the hill and really relaxed. Had a good time on the hill, quicker than last year by 3/4 of a second so not a bad improvement.
A long drive in the B but fortunately the last time I will have to drive her all the way there, the trailer arrived two days after we got home.......


Lydden.
First event towing to so was a little nervous as we ventured off to Dover with the B loaded and balanced nicely on board. Firstly I was amazed at how well the Golf coped with towing the ride was quite relaxed and effortless. Needless to say we hit stationary traffic on the M25 and this is when I was so glad for the trailer as the B would have melted in the heat. Kate snuck off the motorway to find an alternate route to Dover but I stayed on in the rolling stop start of the motorway. It took me 1 hour and 45 minutes to do 12 miles. Eventually I got free of the traffic and we were off again and I actually made some good time and arrived at the track before Kate in the midget. Left the cars and trailer at the track and went to find our hotel in Dover. Back the next morning and set up the paddock with ours and Richard Wither's EZup (pop up gazebo) and made some welcome shade for all of the MGCC competitors.
It was after my second run that I noticed the back of the car gaining in height and realised that I must have damaged the springs either here or in Wales. Anyway it gradually got worse and I retired after two timed runs and made for home as we had Gurston Down the next day.

Gurston Down.
I really love this hill and the location. Over the years we have managed to increase our presence here every year and this year we got 18 entries. This was by far the biggest single mark at the event. It looked really good.
The cars springs made the hill "interesting" but Kate had a much better day and set a new hill record for here car! Well done babe!

Pre-Silverstone.
I spent most of my time under the B changing the parabolic leaf springs. Deep Joy when that was done!

Onwards to Silverstone.
Always a mix of emotion with Silverstone as it is the premier event of the year for the MG Car Club but we in the sprint are not given any real support by the club. A lot of competitors this year didn’t do the event. I think that this years Silverstone Sprint was one of if not the best Silverstone we have had, in spite of the difficulties we had on the day of the sprint.

There was no timing gear.

I know a sprint without timing gear a joke! Well actually it went really really well. The time keeping was better than at Lydden earlier in the year. It was simple there was a radio link between start and finish and two stop watches.
I would like to thank all of those involved as with out them there would have been no sprint.

I did bugger up the car loading it on to the trailer as I forgot that with the new springs it sits lower and the door got stuck on the trailer mud guard and bent the door forward into the wing so now I have a lovely crease 10 inches long and 2 inches in. So time for a strategically placed sponsorship sticker!
Wow long old rant anyone still reading? Enjoy the photos.

No comments: